Brown Bread Stuffing with Chestnuts, Apples, and Sausage
Total: 45 mins
Makes: 8 servings
1/4 cup duck fat or unsalted butter 1/2 stick, plus more for coating the baking dish
6 slices pumpernickel or dark rye bread about 1/2 loaf, crusts removed, medium dice
6 slices wheat bread about 1/2 loaf, crusts removed, medium dice
1# Sweet Italian or Country Apple Sausage (casings removed)
1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
1/4 cup torn fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
2 medium celery stalks, medium dice
1 teaspoon celery seed optional
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored, medium dice
1 cup coarsely chopped chestnuts
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
"Freshly ground black pepper"
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with duck fat or butter. Place the diced
bread in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the duck fat or butter and crumble in the sausage.
Cook until the sausage is lightly browned, stirring to break it up.
3. Add the onion and sage and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and golden, about 5
4. Add the thyme, parsley, celery, celery seed (if using), apples, and chestnuts and cook until the
apples are golden, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and pour the mixture over the diced
bread, tossing well to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon the stuffing into the prepared dish and bake for 30 minutes.