Potato Bacon Soup February 20 2013
· 6 slices Vanilla Bean Apple bacon
· 1 celery stalk
· 1/2 onion
· 1 large garlic clove
· 4 TB butter
· 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
· chicken stock
· 1/8 cup flour
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 1 TB fresh cilantro
· sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Cook bacon in pot until cooked. Remove and set aside. Drain off all but 2 TB bacon grease.
· Saute the celery and onion. Add the garlic and 1 TB butter, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble and return the bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
· In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook stirring constantly, until combined. Whisk in the heavy cream and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper